Wonder what kind of recipes are out there? So I indulged my favorite past-time. Surfing the net! :>) I found all kinds of recipes for our mothers' put-it-in-a-pan-n-boil-it. Admittedly not to mush, but something about just tender with lemon, sometimes with tarragon and maybe some type of hollandaise sauce. None of it turned my crank, nor could I see Hubby eating it. Until I stumbled upon this recipe from MarthaStewart.com.
Asparagus and Cucumber Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1-inch water. Bring to a boil. Add asparagus, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. In a bowl, combine asparagus, cucumber, vinegar, and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe was just what I was looking for, simple and interesting, using ingredients I had on hand. We both enjoyed it and had seconds (finished the bowl). So the next time you have fresh asparagus give it a try and let me know how you liked it.
Have a good Day!