Wednesday, September 28, 2011

socks - a first

Two wearable socks! Two started, two finished with no start-overs, no picking back! Kewl!



I use TLC Baby by Red Heart. It is 100% acrylic in 5322 powder yellow and is a light sport weight #3 on US #3 needles. I did most of the knitting using Magic Loop Method on my 40" Circular. Cast-on was the twisted German and cast-offs were Kitchener Stitch. The pattern was a hybrid (of course! lol) of a sock pattern in Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks and After Thought Heel Socks by Laura Linneman. Using Ann Budd's instruction on page 56 to get started for 6 stitches per inch. I cast on 52 stitches and knit the leg in 2 x 2 ribbing for 6 inches. I read or heard on a video that someone knitted an extra half-inch of the leg in stockinette before doing the heel because it made doing the heel easier, which sounded like a good idea so I did.



Here is where I laid aside Ann Budd's book and picked up Laura Linneman pattern and the instruction on stell66's videos part 1 and part 2 and knit the rest of the sock. Easy-Peasy! The first sock was a 1/2 inch too long for Sister Suzy and I. The sock was about 1 inch too wide for Sister Suzy in the toes and a little too loose for me but wearable for bed socks or slipper socks. The second sock was knitted like the first to about 1 1/2 inches into the foot then I reduced the number of stitches by 6 and shortened the length by a 1/2 inch. I didn't need the extra room in the heel but Sister Suzy does with her very high arches. The second sock fit very well but I think it needed that 1/2 inch in length I took out but still very wearable.

So now I will knit 2 more socks to match the other two and then try my hand at a pair for Hubby. If that works I may knit socks for Christmas for Sister Suzy's friends.

Have a good day!

Judy

No comments: