I knitted a baby afghan/blanket. The goal was to get some yarn out of my stash. The stash is 717 grams or 25.29 oz or about a pound-n-half lighter. I wanted to use up all the Lion Brand Cupcake, not the greatest yarn in the world to work with. The cut ends frayed A LOT as I noted in a previous blog post. Another point of contention was the yarn was rated as worsted (4) and it was barely sport (3). That was the weight of the yarns I used with the cupcake to get the same gauge.
I used one 6 oz skein of Red Heart Baby Sport (Crayon Print). That was the variegated. The rest was the Cupcake (Blueberry and Marshmallow) except for 5 maybe 10 yards of Michael’s Loops and Threads White Sport to get me back to the beginning of the round for the outside border of garter stitch. I had about 18 inches leftover of the Cupcake Blueberry that I bound-off with left. Yeah!
first project knitting a bias fabric.
I re-knit the middle border twice. I started with a 4 x 2 ribbing. It was okay but nothing to write home about. So I pulled out the diamond lace pattern for the Tappan Zee sweater and used that. I got one and a half repeats before I ran out of yarn. I had to redo the corners, as my idea about working the diamond lace pattern into the corners as I added stitches didn't work out so hot. I ended up with solid corners. I bet if I would get out graph paper and chart it, that it would have worked. Sometimes I have trouble visualizing how to make it work.
For a design-it-as-you-go project I think it turned out well.
Hope everyone is having a good day!