Thursday, November 4, 2010

derek's quilt finished

First I want to show you the some of the steps I used to make Derek's quilt. In this picture the block is set together and I am making quilt lines on the block with a graphite marker and a ruler. I marked lines at 45 deg angles.



Then I measured the block and added 1/2 inch to the width and length measurements to cut the backing and batting. I starched pressed the backing; laid the batting on the backing, smoothed out any wrinkles in the batting; finally laying the quilt block on the sandwich smoothing and trying to keep the quilt block centered and square. I started to pin from the center.



Once a row of blocks were pinned and stacked. I would quilt the stack putting them on the done pile.



When finished with a row I would take my 15 inch square and trim up the blocks.



This is the lay-out where I moved some of the blocks around and figured out what size each block would be and how wide the borders would be. I used 1/8 inch equals 1 inch scale. I wanted it big enough to see how it would look and simple enough (1/8 = 1) to make it accurate on the paper I was using. Yes, I really did measure the blocks with the red and yellow strips on them and cut out little pieces of paper to represent the blocks. Don't you just love the little stick figures in the correct colors! I have found the little pieces of paper makes it easier to move the blocks around instead of redrawing the blocks.



I forgot to take pictures of the rows as they were set together.

Finished! Yeah! I took it outside and laid it on the front lawn to photograph. The big old tree out by the street was throwing some long shadows. The only sun with no shadows was by Gracie, our basset hound. She just too excitable.



This is the back. Cool, huh!



I finished it Friday the 29th of October and delivered it the 30th. Two whole days before the deadline! Yeah! I love it when a plan works! Jenny loved it! And the best part is she wants me to teach her how to quilt! So after the first of the year we are going to get together and have some fun!

EDIT: Oh! By the way, the fix with the extra material; Jen didn't even notice it until I pointed it out. Wonderful!

Now to finish Sister Suzy's sweater cause Hubby wants some lounging socks or slippers. He says his feet are cold. We have kicked around me learning to knit socks but I may make him some quilted slippers instead. I have way more experience in the garment making area.

Have a good day!

Judy

1 comment:

Marguerita McManus said...

Judy, it's just awesome! My nephews just loved those Ninja Turtles :) You did a super job and I loved reading about it. Congratulations on converting another quilter - yahoooooooooo!! ;)