Sunday, March 9, 2014

a recipe that didn't work

We were at the local WinCo and I spied buckwheat flour in the bulk bins.  I really like buckwheat pancakes, so off to the Internet to find a recipe.  I came across several that were very similar to this one I got from allrecipes.

1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3 TBSP melted butter
6 TBSP all-purpose flour
6 TBSP buckwheat flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 TBSP butter for frying

First thing I did was cut the baking soda in half.  A teaspoon really?  I cut the salt in half too.  A half-teaspoon for 3/4 cup dry ingredients?  I thought the liquid to dry ratio was a bit skewed also, but what the heck let's give it a try.

What I got was something crepe like.  According to the crepe recipe by Alton Brown from the Food Network:

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan

That’s what I got.  Not a pancake as I know them.

Here's my pancake recipe from my 1963 Pillsbury Cookbook:

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 TBSP sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup veggie oil or melted fats

I replaced half of the flour with buckwheat flour.  Whisk all your dry ingredients together.  Throw in all the wet ingredients at once; whisk until smooth.  Using a 1/3-cup-measuring cup to scoop the batter into your pan for about 12 pancakes.  Delicious!!!

So my quandary is do people not know the difference between a crepe and a pancake?  Or am I confused about the difference?

Okay, I did some research.  There are 2 differences; one, crepes has no leavening agent and two, crepes are very thin.  So technically, the first recipe is a pancake but who wants one with a crepe consistency?  Not me!

As far as I'm concerned the top recipe is a fail, eatable, after the adjustments I made. (Can you imagine what they would have tasted like with all the salt and baking soda called for in that recipe?  I shudder thinking about it.) But not something I would want to repeat.

Well back to the salt mines.  I have a sewing project I'm working on.  Pictures when I get it finished.

Everybody have a good day!

Judy

2 comments:

Billy Bob said...

There are times Judy that I will thin my batter an' brew me up some very thin pancakes. Spread on some butter an' strawberry preserve, roll that sucker up an' eat it like a Twinkie. Did I just say Twinkie? The new Twinkies suck.

Judy said...

Yes, the new Twinkies suck. They changed the formula whether they want to admit it or not. My dad would use pancakes as bread and we kids thought he was weird. His comment was, "How do you think they baked bread before ovens?" We still thought he was a little off. ; >)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!