Monday, February 7, 2011

dinner last night

I was over on Stephanie O'Dea's blog, A Year of Slow Cooking, the other day and she had a recipe for Peanut Butter Chicken that looked interesting. I ask Hubby if he was interested and he said he was.

I had used Stephanie's idea on skinning a ten pound bag of chicken hind-quarters and cooking them in the crock-pot. I put a layer of chicken quarters in the crock-pot then sprinkled them with Lawry's, garlic powder, and dried onion. Then several more seasoned layers until the crock-pot was full. Ten pounds just fits in a six quart crock-pot. I cooked them until the meat was just pulling away from the bone. Then I de-boned them. The first three quarters were used for make-your-own-Mexican.

The next three quarters were used in the Peanut Butter Chicken. Here is how I fixed it:

3 chicken quarter de-boned
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin(we aren't big on cumin)
1 cup of onion, cut in slivers
1/2 red pepper, cut in slivers
1/2 green pepper, cut in slivers
2 carrots, cut in matchsticks
1 cup of chicken broth (from crock-potting the ten pounds)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup roasted, shelled, peanuts
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp of minced ginger (have my own plant)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 TBSP of coconut oil
2 TBSP of lemon juice (didn't have any limes)
1/4 cup soy sauce

Stir-fry the veggies, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in the coconut oil until onion is translucent. Add peanut butter, lemon juice, soy sauce, peanuts, and chicken broth. Stir until blended. Add chicken, stir and heat until it comes back to boil. Serve over steamed rice.

The last batch of chicken will probably end up in a Chef Salad or maybe a Greek Salad.

EDIT: I still have chicken left! Enough to make a pot of chicken and noodles. Not tomorrow! The chicken goes in the freezer. I'm about chickened out.

Have a good day!

Judy

2 comments:

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

i was just looking for a new and exciting chicken crock pot recipe. this one sounds really tasty and i have most of the ingredients here. i am so jealous of all that venison you get! LL

Judy said...

If you pop over to A Year of Slow Cooking she actually used less ingredients. I was being creative and lazy at the same time. I didn't want to get out another pot and create some veggie dish, so I added extra veggies to the pot.
Sadly, there are only two packages of venison left. I need a new source! Jude