Tuesday, February 22, 2011

MIL slippers

Hubby ask if I would knit his mother a pair of slippers. Her feet are so swollen that she can't wear socks to keep her feet warm. She can just barely stuff her feet into her shoes. The pair on the left are for her, the pair on the right were suppose to be for a friend of Sister Suzy who was loaning her a textbook. However, I used different yarn, which knitted up tighter than the other pairs I made, so I have another size 7 pair. Guess Sister Suzy gets another pair or I may cabbage on to them.



I still need to knit a pair of size 10s. Think maybe I should check gauge this time?! We wanted them to be non-skid, so I researched out on the web to find what to put on the bottoms of the slippers. Some are using puff fabric paint, or little sticky dots, or sewing on footed-slipper fabric, or using something like what I have pictured below. There was the brush-on type and aerosol spray type. I decided on the brush-on type for a couple of reasons. One, I have asthma and I don't need to inhale any vapors from over-spray and didn't want over-spray sticking to any other surfaces. Two, the brush-on stuff covered more surface area at about the same price.



I cut out a pattern from cardboard using one of my sandals as a pattern. Slipped the sole pattern in the slippers making sure I had a left and right. Using an old toothbrush as an applicator, I brushed on a thin layer per the instruction. Let it dry less than 24 hours, applied a second coat and let dry for 48 hours before wearing. They say not to wash for at least 2 weeks to let it completely cure. The backing will wear off and have to be reapplied. The nice part is while the Safety Back is still wet it is water soluble and really easy to clean up.



Here is another picture with different lighting. I used my top-down heavily modified two needle pattern I have been using from The Irish Ewe by Dagny Lilley.

Have a good day!

Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are no longer accepted due to the weird.