Monday, April 14, 2014

looky what I rescued

This little fellow was in the guttering above one of the apartments in our complex.  I ask the maintenance guy if I could have it when they got around to cleaning the gutters.  The poor thing was all shriveled up and the dirt around it was bone dry when he handed it to me.  I put the bag in a loaf pan and filled the pan level full of water.  The dirt is about dry again.  Next time I'm in a big box store I need to look for a planter for it, so I can get it potted and outside with the rest of my cactus.

I have no idea what kind of cactus it is, but I think it is a type of prickly pear.  I have seen prickly pears around Phoenix that have a more elongated pad than the classic round pads.  Wonder what type and color of flower it has when it blooms?  And what the tunas (fruit) taste like, cause evidently it tastes good to some bird.

Everybody have a good day!

Judy

1 comment:

Teri said...

Hi Judy, thanks for the comment on my blog. The finished size of the hexies is 1 1/2" - thats a lot of hand stitching to go around each hexie and would have to be tiny, tiny stitches. I have to get it basted and then I can decide what to do with it. I have had it at least 10-15 years and could not part with it when I was selling everything in my house. I have thought about quilting a line through the middle of each color - it would be like a diamond shape echoed around and around.