I got to thinking about how hot steering wheels get here in Phoenix in the summertime so I went on to Ravelry and starting looking for a steering wheel cover I could knit. I came up with this one: Diagonal Garter Stitch Steering Wheel Cover by Garilynn.
I just could not visualize the cast-on and first few rows. So I got out my instruction for a diagonal scarf I have knitted but have not posted about (What's with that?) and knitted for about a foot until the light bulb went off. DUH! After the light bulb went off, I ripped it all out and started over using Helen Griffin of Golden Apples Blog you tube video on a crochet cast-on for a provisional cast-on and followed the directions in Garilynn's pattern. By the way, Helen has posted some really nice videos on different knitting techniques go check her out.
I wanted to make the steering wheel cover out of cotton. I had three choices, a blue or white in Lion Brand Cupcake (Which after I had knitted the cover discovered it is not cotton but acrylic.) And a pale lime green from Bernat Cottontots. I decided on the blue Cupcake called Blueberry and the green Cottontots called Sweet Green. I knitted it with US#6 needles. I only cast on 21 stitches to get the 4" width I needed to go around the steering wheel. While researching patterns I came across notes on one pattern that recommended knitting the length at 60% of the outside circumference of the steering wheel. I knitted mine at 70%. My steering wheel is about 46" around. 31" stretched to about 46". I used the Kitchener Stitch to graft the two ends together and stitch the sides together after placing the cover on the steering wheel.
non-slip stuff I used on our slippers on the inside of the cover.
I hope everyone is having a good day!
UPDATE: With use the cover has gotten looser. The next one I make will only be 3 inches wide and 3 or 4 inches shorter in hopes of it staying tighter on the steering wheel.