Thursday, November 27, 2014

giving thanks

 
 free clip art from:  http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/

I hope every one is having an enjoyable holiday.  I am having a reflective day.  I woke up this morning and realized this is the first Thanksgiving I have been alone in 62 years.  My family got together at some point during the 4-day weekend for a dinner depending on what day was best for the one who worked the oddest hours and days.  This was usually my older brother because he was a long-haul trucker.

So I am counting my blessings and giving thanks as I go about my day.  Celebrating my health, celebrating the roof over my head, celebrating that the cupboard is full, celebrating that with a flick of a switch I have lights, music, and all the conveniences I choose to have.  Celebrating that I can grab the keys, head out the door, burn all the gas I can afford wondering around looking at stuff in full stores or looking at nature's wonders.  Celebrating my relative safety in my own home as well as in the streets of the community I live in.  And above all, celebrating that I have people in my life that really care about my well being.

As I was thinking about past Thanksgivings, I remember with a smile the time that I worked at a small manufacturing plant that made terminal connection boards.  We were all excitedly discussing our plans for the holiday when Elfrieda and I were approached by a several of our Laotian co-workers about exactly how to bake a turkey with all the trimmings. They also didn't truly understand what the holiday was all about.

So I ask them if they really liked baked turkey (I don't).  No, they didn't, but they thought it was necessary to celebrate the holiday.  They were surprised when we ask if in their culture they had holidays where they counted their blessing or gave thanks with a special foods or dishes.  They, of course, did.  That's when we explained that despite the media hoopla, that was what the holiday was about and that a turkey was not necessary to celebrate.  It was way more important to get together with family and friends, count your blessings and eat foods that tasted delicious to you.  They seemed relieved they weren't going to have to buy, cook, serve and eat something that was not appealing to them.

So for my Thanksgiving Feast today, I'm not having turkey!  I am going to have chorizo topped nachos, tons of fresh veggies, apple turnovers and RC Cola.

Count your blessing and enjoy your dinner!

Judy

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Sounds like you're making a good day of it no matter what. Have to say I like turkey, but only once a year. Christmas has to be something else, although Dan is talking about raising turkeys next year!

Judy said...

The turkey I like is deep-fried or smoked. Raising turkeys could be fun! A friend has a beautiful tom that follows her around like a puppy.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

tracie c. said...

very nice judy! lots and lots to be thankful for indeed!
loved your story! so very true... make your own rules it's a day to rejoice in whatever makes you happy!

i've been on my own for thanksgiving 4 out of the last 5 years on the actual day. i've been known to bust out a mean plate of nachos in celebration too!

we did have our thanksgiving on friday. no turkey in our house either!
i did cook special food and i did make a pumpkin pie.

Judy said...

Yup, tons to be thankful for, if it's nothing more than, "If not for the grace of God, there go I."

I got a year to scheme on how to get everyone out here for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The weather is better here than in Kansas this time of the year! LOL

Pumpkin Pie...mmmm...got me thinking...I'll be in Kansas for Christmas this year...maybe I need to throw in my old trusty cookbook and make us a Pumpkin Chiffon Pie from a recipe I altered to mirror my aunt's fabulous recipe. I'm sure there's room for it! LOL,as I run down the road looking like the Clampetts from Beverly Hillbillies.

Hey, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!