Monday, August 29, 2016

pop, my take

I was cruising the web a while ago and was on Fons and Porter's You-Tube site, Quilting Quickly. I saw a quilt they called Pop and immediately thought; this would be a good scrap quilt.
The blocks are 8-inches square, finished.  Four 4 1/2" by 2 1/2" scrap strips and two 8 1/2" by 2 1/2" background (white) strips.  I used black for the two borders.  To make the inside border that is black and white you need some 8 1/2" strips of white and black; the corners will need four 10 1/2" strips of black.
The two borders make the center look like it is floating.  I used about 2/3 yards of black, 1 2/3 yards of white, 1 1/3 yards of assorted prints, 1/2 yard of binding fabric and 2 1/2 yards of backing fabric. 
I used stitch-in-the-ditch for the body of the quilt and a back-n-forth-boxy look for the border. You know I just realized this makes the third quilt; I have used a boxy look for the fill-in quilting.  I must be channeling some Cubist or something!  I used the blue seersucker again for the backing.  I had some trouble with puckers on the back this time. I had to do some picking and re-smooth the fabric to get it to lay flat. Blah!
I made my standard 48" by 72" quilt.  I dug around in the binding drawer and found an off-white from Mother's stash that was just the right length.  I had twelve inches of excess leftover.  Yeah!
I had trouble with the bobbin thread breaking.  I think I replaced that one corner three or four times!  I quit when it looked this good even though I should of picked it out, again, and tried to hit the previous stitching better.  Maybe, next time!

Well the label is on.  I hope everybody is having a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are no longer accepted due to the weird.