Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bonnie's cole slaw and rotisserie chicken

Here's another recipe from when I worked at a nightclub. It is quick and easy to whip up; and I get request to fix it for pot-lucks and family dinners.

Bonnie's Cole Slaw



Image from: tastybusiness.blogspot.com as the results of a Google search for a photo of cole slaw.

Ingredients:
For every 1 lb. of green cabbage you need
2 - 4 oz. of red cabbage
1 medium carrot

OR
1 lb of pre-packaged slaw mix

1 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
2 TBSP milk
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp. celery seed

Directions: Slice cabbages fine, then dice in small pieces. Peel carrot and cut into match sticks or grate. Mix cabbages and carrot well. In separate small bowl, blend until smooth mayo, milk, sugar, and celery seed. Scrape dressing over cabbage blend and mix well. It will look like there isn't enough dressing but keep mixing; you will end up with a light coating of dressing on the cabbage blend.

Yield: 6 to 10 servings depending on whom you are feeding.

I sometimes substitute 1/16 tsp. of Stevia in place of the sugar, if I am being extra healthy. Most of the time I don't get too excited about it; you're not getting that much sugar in a serving.

When I was shopping for a toaster-oven right after we moved into the new house and had no stove. I bought a toaster-oven that had a rotisserie feature and we love it. I discovered about three chickens ago that if I stuffed the inside of the chicken, with chopped veggies, salt and some spices I got a moist flavorful chicken. It takes a little longer to bake/broil but it has been well worth it.

Tonight, I stuffed the chicken with: onion, garlic, 1/2 a chopped lemon with peel, celery, and 1/2 tsp of lemon pepper. Closed the body cavity with a toothpick. Then trussed the chicken on to the rotisserie skewer. Shook lemon pepper all over the outside and cooked it for an hour and 1/2. I've done pretty much the same thing with Italian seasonings with the same excellent results. I think that the next time I would like to try it with a dry BBQ rub.

Photos of the finished quilt will have to wait till we get some sunshine.

Have a good day!

Judy

No comments: