Friday, May 2, 2014

well duh

I got to thinking about how hot steering wheels get here in Phoenix in the summertime so I went on to Ravelry and starting looking for a steering wheel cover I could knit.  I came up with this one: Diagonal Garter Stitch Steering Wheel Cover by Garilynn.

I just could not visualize the cast-on and first few rows.  So I got out my instruction for a diagonal scarf I have knitted but have not posted about (What's with that?) and knitted for about a foot until the light bulb went off.  DUH!  After the light bulb went off, I ripped it all out and started over using Helen Griffin of Golden Apples Blog you tube video on a crochet cast-on for a provisional cast-on and followed the directions in Garilynn's pattern.  By the way, Helen has posted some really nice videos on different knitting techniques go check her out.

I wanted to make the steering wheel cover out of cotton.  I had three choices, a blue or white in Lion Brand Cupcake (Which after I had knitted the cover discovered it is not cotton but acrylic.)  And a pale lime green from Bernat Cottontots.  I decided on the blue Cupcake called Blueberry and the green Cottontots called Sweet Green.  I knitted it with US#6 needles.  I only cast on 21 stitches to get the 4" width I needed to go around the steering wheel.  While researching patterns I came across notes on one pattern that recommended knitting the length at 60% of the outside circumference of the steering wheel.  I knitted mine at 70%.  My steering wheel is about 46" around.  31" stretched to about 46".  I used the Kitchener Stitch to graft the two ends together and stitch the sides together after placing the cover on the steering wheel.
I did not use any non-slip material under the cover as recommended in the pattern.  If Hubby thinks it needs to really grip the steering wheel then I will put some non-slip stuff I used on our slippers on the inside of the cover.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

Judy

UPDATE:  With use the cover has gotten looser.  The next one I make will only be 3 inches wide and 3 or 4 inches shorter in hopes of it staying tighter on the steering wheel.

No comments: