Wednesday, December 28, 2011

an asparagus recipe

We have started to participate in Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op. In our basket there was a bunch of asparagus. I don't buy asparagus for several reasons: one, being cost vs. yields, two, remembering my mother's asparagus, three, the look on my husband's face when he remembers his mother's asparagus. So what to do? Don't want to feed it to the chickens; pretty expensive chicken feed! Don't want to boil it to mush and then try to cover up the taste (shudder) with butter.

Wonder what kind of recipes are out there? So I indulged my favorite past-time. Surfing the net! :>) I found all kinds of recipes for our mothers' put-it-in-a-pan-n-boil-it. Admittedly not to mush, but something about just tender with lemon, sometimes with tarragon and maybe some type of hollandaise sauce. None of it turned my crank, nor could I see Hubby eating it. Until I stumbled upon this recipe from MarthaStewart.com.

Asparagus and Cucumber Vinaigrette

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch strips
  • 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

  1. Place a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1-inch water. Bring to a boil. Add asparagus, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. In a bowl, combine asparagus, cucumber, vinegar, and oil. Season with salt and pepper.

This recipe was just what I was looking for, simple and interesting, using ingredients I had on hand. We both enjoyed it and had seconds (finished the bowl). So the next time you have fresh asparagus give it a try and let me know how you liked it.

Have a good Day!

Judy

No comments: