Friday, March 4, 2011
red and white gingham quilt
The twin size red-n-white gingham striped quilt is finished! Yeah! You can read about the trials and tribulation here and here and here. I like how it looks. I have two different sizes of gingham for the binding. I should have divided it up into equal segments so the short piece doesn't look like I ran out of binding and added some to have enough to go around. Which is what I did!
Here is a picture of the binding I almost had enough of in two different sizes. I did some fancy finagling to get it to all look right. I am pretty proud of that corner too. It is nice and crisp!
A detail shot of the quilting and binding.
The backing was shirting flannel. You can see that chuck of binding I slapped on in the lower left hand corner. I am disappointed in myself for not taking the time to do it right. And I am too lazy to rip it off and do it in a way that would be unifying. (Like most seamstresses I know, I will do about anything to avoid seam rippers and picking threads!)
Close-up of the quilting on the back. I am still trying to figure out a way to not back stitch on short sections of quilting without tying knots and burying threads between the layers.
The gingham adventures will be continuing. There is still a box of gingham blocks to use up. I came up with another lay-out I want to try. I think, I will use up some of the pink gingham this go round.
Have a good day!