Friday, July 29, 2011

another year older



Well, I'm not quite to 'old fart' status yet. That's when I get to draw Social Security at 62. But I'm getting there!

I made myself a birthday cake. This is my variation of Beverly's Dark Chocolate Cake from epicurious.com for an 8 by 8 pan.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
3/8 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flour, all purpose
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup water or milk (I used almond milk because of an allergy to casein protein.)
1 large egg (I love cakes with duck eggs.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Mexican vanilla cause I can get it by the quart bottle at the Mexican market for less than what they want for a little bottle at the grocery store.)

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients well with a whisk. Add wet ingredients and beat at medium speed with your hand mixer for 3 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 8 x 8 pan and bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until tester comes out clean. Cool.

This is the frosting recipe I am using with this cake. I found it on food.com by CoolMonday. It is called Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting which makes the whole thing taste kind of like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. And I do like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Ingredients:
1/2 butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk (almond in my case)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Cream butter and peanut butter together. Add half of the powdered sugar and blend. Mix in milk and vanilla. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy. Then frost cake.

You may have some left over which is great for graham crackers sandwiches later!

EDIT: I store this cake in the refrigerator because the frosting is a little soft to leave on the counter. J

Have a good day!

Judy

No comments: